Creating a Rustic Wedding Venue / www.ExperienceParadiseGardens.com / ExperienceParadiseGardens@gmail.com /415-250-3730



Creating a Rustic Wedding Venue
with a wine barrel sink
in 
Paradise Gardens!



   This is a project I never thought I'd take on and Man o Man was it a BIG one!

It began with an old wine barrel that was being thrown away. 
With a little Tender Loving Care I came up with a design and my Sink Barrel project began!

The following are the purchases I made, but do note that you can easily refurbish used items or buy second hand;)

Purchases I made: 
Copper Sink - Rutherford Model, bought at Lowe's - $150
Faucet - bought at Amazon - $99
Stain - Oak Color (Your Preference)
Polyurethane - Outdoor 

The following are the steps I took in the creation of the sink: (laid out in more detail below) 
1. Design, 2. Cut Sink Hole, 3. Stain, 4. Poly, 5. Cut Door,  6. Plumbing

The design part was fun! Each morning I would wake up with my pen, a cup of coffee, and notepad, and have a stare-down with the barrel. After numerous creative sketches and architectural design flaws, I finally came up with a design that I liked and decided to give it a go! 
After I made all the purchases that I needed, the next big step was cutting out the hole for the sink. Thankfully, the copper sink I bought had a  paper stencil I could use to precisely measure out the hole on top of the barrel. I used a skill-saw to make my initial cuts and eventually had a perfectly shaped space to place the sink basin into. 

Next, came the finishing off the barrel's wood. I found a classic oak colored wood stain that I thought matched beautifully with the copper sink and hardware. I laid a few coats and let it dry. After the stain was set, I coated a few layers of polyurethane on top to make sure that it was sealed and waterproof. Lookin' good! Lastly, came the most nerve-wracking and difficult part of this project- cutting the door. 

Before cutting, I had to make sure that all the metal loops holding the wood together, were secure and nailed in place. I found some really sweet black decor nails that I used to secure each rim into the wood. The black also acted as a really nice accent to the faucet and wood. After the rings were set into place, the cutting of the wood began. 

I started the cut with a hand-held circular saw. I used this tool to cut the long edges of the door, and finishing off each corner with a hand-saw. We the door was finally cut, I added hinges and secured a pull-knob on the front. It was ready for plumbing installation! 

Plumbing was a little easier. I used a garden hose to bring water in, and a 1-inch clear tubing to release grey water right into my banana trees. The hose water coming in was fed into an adapter that fit right onto my under-sink attachment hose. I used the cold water attachment and capped off the hose purposed for hot water (few dollar purchase at any hardware store). With the water run-off going straight back to the farm, my bananas are very happy!=) 

To be honest, everything I learned was from youtube. The power of the internet! (and determination) 

If I can do it, you can too! 

Giuliana
Paradise Gardens Venue Manager 

www.ExperienceParadiseGardens.com
415-250-3730



Popular posts from this blog

Composting; A Sustainable Practice on Paradise Gardens / www.ExperienceParadiseGardens.com / experienceparadisegardens@gmail.com /415-250-3730

Unique Outdoor Wedding Entertainment/ www.ExperienceParadiseGardens.com / experienceparadisegardens@gmail.com /415-250-3730